Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mini-blog #1: New Music

Recently I made my first purchase from Wicked Cool Records, which is a smallish NYC label owned and run by none other than "Little Steven" Van Zandt, the lead guitar player for the E Street Band.  (The oldsters among us may remember Steve B.D.--Before Do-Rag--back in the 1970s, when he wore a straw pimp hat and was called "Miami Steve" for reasons unknown.  Those were the days.)

Anyway, my point here is that I got two exclusive 45s, from Wisconsin-via-Brooklyn rock quartet Locksley and from Danish garage band The Breakers, both with--wait for it!--non-album B-sides, the singular joy of my early record-collecting days.  Thanks to the satellite station Underground Garage, I've heard these and many more, and now they're mine...all mine!  *rubs hands together gleefully*

The other objective of this blog is to let you know that the service was crazy fast.  I emailed them to let them know that their delivery was faster than Jimmy John's, and I'm not kidding.  I ordered my goodies online on June 30, and they were waiting in my office mail yesterday, July 5.  Wow! 

And as if all that weren't enough, they sent me a Wicked Cool sampler of bands I've already been infected by...uh, I mean, amazed by, through listening to the station and the recorded radio show!  Thirteen artists, fourteen songs, all at no extra charge.  It was almost worth the $7.90 shipping (only $2.90 of which was the actual postage), but hey, people did their job and did it fast. 

The only quicker way to get these would have been to steal them.  Just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment